Emily
I absolutely loved this inspiration project when I found it on fun.kyti.me:  an old suitcase turned into a picnic basket!  I've seen it re-posted everywhere and I had to try it.


Now, I totally wish I would have taken a before picture of my suitcase, but I'm betting you can imagine what it looked like.  T and I picked up the suitcase (which I thought looked like an old saxophone case) at a flea market back in May.  We decided it was a perfect choice at a whopping $3.


It still ended up a little shabby-chic looking after we painted it, but what the heck?  It gives it character!


We attached the fabric with mod podge, found a coordinating ribbon and went to town with our staple gun, velcro, super glue, and hot glue.  Do you like how my first picnic includes diet coke, apples, and mock triscuits?  Hee hee, that's right.


I added the little napkin pocket on the side because I thought it looked more like a suitcase that way.  


I already had these fabulous hula plates from a garage sale last year ($2?) and the cups I got on clearance at Target last year, intending to use them for outdoor dining.  The plastic flatware I got at World Market on clearance ($3 for 4 place settings).  I love it!  We had the napkins too.


My friend Meg taught me how to make these fun fabric flowers.  She had them as pins on her purse, but I decided to dress up the front of the suitcase.  They're so easy to make!

A big thanks to T on this one as he put up with my hot glue fits and stubborn perfectionist tendencies.  ;)

P.S. The fabric under my place setting is a sneak peek from my next project.  So excited to show you!
1 Response

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...