Emily
Here's the long-awaited next project!


Pretty retro, huh?  Ted and I picked up a pair of these from two different thrift stores when we still lived in Pierre.   We've been holding onto them for over a year now, and our guests and guest room have had to bear their ugly existence for far too long.  I guess I just didn't quite know what I wanted to do to them to make them beautiful...until Tuesday.


Yup, check out that fat drum shade.  This thing is huge.  Anyway, I knew I wanted something more modern and I knew I wanted a white base.  I was thinking something metallic would bring it into the 21st century.  I scoured Mill End for some pretty raw silk and instead ended up with this purplish grey taffeta.  The plans were to use mod podge on the shade since that worked so well on our suitcase project.    Word to the wise:  mod podge will stain your taffeta.  Good thing I tested it first, eh?  Now you know.  Hot glue to the rescue!


Ta-da!  By the way, we have no idea what the wall color is, either.  It changes with the light of day.  Sometimes it looks mushroomy, sometimes green, and now, apparently it looks beige.  Well, whatever.  I love the way this turned out!  And what's even more shocking is how easy it is to recover a lampshade.


Sorry about the grainy picture, apparently I should have T take my blog pictures again.  Photography is so not my thing.  Did I mention that I got the fabric for $2.50/yd?  Awwwww yeah.


We have a guest that is staying in this room for the next month or so and I'm so excited that this year she doesn't have to endure the ugliness that was these lamps.  Hooray!
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...