Emily
Last year T and I were gifted some day lilies.  We planted them in front of our house and they had maybe 2 blooms all summer.  I thought I had managed to kill some of the hardiest plants around.  This year though, they came back in full force!



I get so tired of weeding the bed so T and I bought some black landscaping fabric at a garage sale and some gardening stakes.  We laid the landscaping fabric down over the lilies and cut x's where the plants were.  (In retrospect, we should have laid this fabric in April before they sprouted.  I'm a little concerned that they got squashed, but we'll have to wait and see if they survived the trauma.)  Anyway, we got the black plastic laid and staked, and it looked like this:


Yeah, it's lumpy, but we plan on getting some rock from craigslist to cover it eventually.  Anyway, then the fun began!  These blocks were on sale at our hardware store so after a long debate on how we should lay them, we got to work.  I dug the trench and T pounded them into place:


(Ted is actually working on the other side of the house where a hydrangea bush lives.)  It was a glorious day outside today, perfect for manual labor!!  I dug up so many rusty nails, worms, and this giant piece of styrofoam.  So weird!


Anybody know what the heck that came from?  I sure don't.  Anyway, we LOVE the finished product!


These little blocks weren't intended to be set up on their side like this.  I think they're meant for a retaining wall, but they would have been too tall if we had put 2 layers on, and 1 would have just looked silly.  I think it worked out really well!


After we put the last of the bricks in, I had to fill in the rest of the trench with a little extra dirt.


See my cute little gardening gloves?  T bought them for me.  And my little yellow kneeler.  I have the best husband ever.

More pics to come when we get some rock in!  Have you been working on your garden lately?  Tell me what you've been up to!
Labels: , | edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...