Emily
I am so excited to share with you our latest project.  I saw this awesome chevron bar tutorial on curbly.com  over Christmas break and was dying to try and duplicate it.  I


The makeover was inspired by the show "Mad Men" and T and I thought the bold chevron pattern was perfect for our style.  I even had the perfect spot planned out in our basement.

On Super Bowl Sunday T and I decided to make a quick stop at Goodwill before we went to my parents' party.  I thought it might take us awhile to find a cabinet that would work, but I was wrong!  We walked in the door, saw this beauty and were out again in less than 5 minutes.


It was a no brainer!  This is actually the finished product.  The early stages weren't quite as lovely.  T and I think that somebody converted it from an old TV to the cabinet that it currently is.  You can kind of see the two light circles on the left panel where it looks like there would have been speakers.  There was even a little tag on the inside telling you how to change the vacuum tube!

We made quite a few adjustments ourselves!  First, we pained the top black.  It was an originally an icky brown mock-wood color and it just didn't fit.  We then decided to paint the bottom shelf black to match.  There's actually caning on that shelf but it was a nasty gray color that didn't match the side panels.  Trust me, it's much better in black!  We added the black felt on the inside to give it a bit of class, replaced the knobs on the glass (there were none, originally) and added the little golden medallions.


There are two little random holes in the caning and there were two wooden plugs that went inside them.  I'm guessing that was originally something for the speakers for the tv, but really we have no idea.  In any case, they needed to be covered.  I wanted something vintage, but Hobby Lobby does not carry many vintage-looking medallions.  I found these in the bead aisle and thought they at least matched the gold on the glass doors.  So, after a good scrubbing, some paint, and a little elbow grease, our treasure is complete!

We're still in accessorizing mode, but so far we have picked up a few treasures.  We got these retro coin glasses for $3 total.  They're kind of hard to see, but they have coins from different countries all over them.


We also got this fun little guy:


I had my eye on that baby for awhile before I finally talked T into buying it at Savers earlier this week.  I even left the price tag on it.  It came with the original warranty and directions!  I love it!  The only sad thing is that it's missing the lid.  Oh well.



So, although our bar ended up looking nothing like our inspiration, we love it.  Any thoughts on accessories we should add?
1 Response
  1. Mikalah Says:

    Sooo cute! I love the whole Mad Men style, I could live on that shows set and be so happy! =)


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...